Sunday, August 23, 2015

Baby #1 vs. Baby #2

Overall this pregnancy has been a lot different than the last and certainly a lot harder, physically and mentally.

On Monday we went in for our "first" appointment (they didn't count the "emergency" visit at 7 weeks when we thought we miscarried). We were so excited to hear our little one's heart beat and even brought Penelope along to hear it too. However, after 10 minutes of trying to find this little one's heart beat, my midwife informed me that she could not find it. I had probably mentioned to her at least 5 times before that that I've been much more paranoid this pregnancy because of the scare so I'm pretty certain that was the last thing she wanted to tell me. She explained that it could just be that I might have a tilted cervix (I can't be sure that's actually what she said...tilted something...) or that I may have miscarried. So here we were again going through the emotions of not knowing if our baby was okay. Worst of all, we were the last appointment of the day and had to wait till morning for an ultrasound.

Fast forward to the morning. Our ultrasound showed the baby was completely okay and we got to watch his little heart beat for a while since we couldn't hear it. I think the tech knew that it had been a long night for us because she let us watch him for a little while longer than probably most ultrasound techs let you. Every time she put her ultra sound wand on my stomach and pushed, our little one would flip around and move to the other side to get away from her. It was so cute to watch! Baby actually looks like a baby now so it was extra fun to see him wiggle and squirm. He is a mover just like his sister was (and still is).

We got in the car and both sighed at how exhausting this pregnancy has been for us. I don't think I'll be able to fully let my paranoia go away until this baby is safely in my arms. Needless to say, I am having a hard time waiting for this little one to come. Why can't life just let me speed through the next 28 weeks? (Oh yeah--because I have an adorable 2 year old and don't want to miss a minute of her growing up.)

But overall, here is what I've noticed for the first trimester. Technically I still have a week left but oh well.


1st Trimester

Penelope:
  • Didn't feel very tired--I had a normal amount of energy in the first trimester and I was even going to school full time and working 27 hour weeks.
  • I felt very sick all the time and was throwing up constantly but found relief usually from Vitamin B6 and Unisom.
  • I was always hungry.
  • I had some food aversions...enough that I usually stayed clear of the fridge as much as possible. Also, pizza was absolutely disgusting my whole pregnancy until about 38 weeks.
  • I didn't show until 12 weeks and started feeling uncomfortably chubby at 10 weeks.
  • I slept normally.


Baby #2:
  • I have all day morning sickness again but have only actually gotten sick five times. It was only 3 before a couple days ago and I'm impressed I've made it this long with such few actual incidents. However, the morning sickness is much more intense than the last time. It's the kind that makes you want to hover around a toilet all day long. Thankfully, I've gotten to a point where it's intense about every other day, which is much more manageable than every day.
  • Exhaustion. All day long, all the time.
  • I am restless during sleep and have weird dreams. Which is odd because I don't dream often. Also, I've had a baby boy dream and a baby girl dream and I feel entirely uncertain what this little one is unlike last time.
  • I am not hungry often but when I am it's like I've been a starved animal.
  • Tons of food aversions. So many that it's too much to list.
  • Bloated at 4 weeks and started to show at 8 weeks. Depending on the day I am super obviously pregnant and other days not so much.
  • I have not been sleeping well.
  • I've had weird aches and pains. Specifically round ligament pains which I didn't get with Penelope until 39 weeks. Also, apologies for the TMI here, once I got what I affectionately call the vaginal lightning bolt (had it happen the last week of pregnancy with Penelope) which sounds exactly as you can image and hurts like HECK. According to my midwife, it's actually nerves being pinched!
  • Spotting (or maybe my placenta tearing a little more?) which doesn't happen often but still freaks me out every time.
  • And I can't say this enougth--even though this pregnancy has made me physically miserable and scary in a lot of ways, I am so excited for this little one to join our family! This being my second time, I feel so much more prepared for what is to come! :)

Here is some proof that I have super prego days. This is a picture I took yesterday when I was 11 weeks 6 days. I was planning on taking better pictures today but my morning sickness has me taking a rain check on life today. Also, see how low I'm carrying? What do you think...boy or girl? (We find out on my birthday, October 14th!) We hope for a boy but after all the scares I will be happy with whatever!!!


11 weeks 6 days and a broken mirror I really need to find some time to fix. Also, you can't tell in these pictures but my belly button has started to stick out a ton!


PS. It's kinda hard to see in the one picture but I'm wearing this new lipstick and I'm obsessed with it! I've never been a lipstick person until I found Avon's Ultra Color Bold Lipstick called High-Def Plum. I've practically worn it everyday this week and I love how plum looks with my skin tone and makes me feel pretty on the days I feel especially "round." They have lots of other fun colors too so check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment