Sunday, December 29, 2013

My New Year's Resolutions


Today was the 5th Sunday of the month and in our church that means there is a big meeting of the whole ward in the last hour. Today we talked about New Year Resolutions. Many people touched on things that I would like to improve about myself but I know if I tried to commit to them all I would end up feeling overwhelmed. This year will be a small list because I really want to focus on these specific things. Here are the few that I decided to commit myself to:

Lose 13 pounds.

Everyone has got to have the standard lose weight resolution. I make this one every year (well, more like I commit to work out more frequently to stay toned…I’ve never really been over weight.) But because I had a baby, I’m a bit pudgier then I would like. I was doing so well when the weather was warm by going on walks every day. I had finally got down to 120 and only had 7 more pounds to go before I reached my pre-pregnancy weight. However, I went to New Hampshire where I stayed for 17 days (7 of those days were an extended time due to a family death.) I had a lot of my mom’s good cooking and my dad and step-mom spoiled me with some of my absolute favorite foods. And of course I had to indulge in some of my favorite New England restaurants aka any Chinese food, Dimitri’s Pizza, and Panera Bread (I am aware Panera is outside of New England, there are none in Utah.) It was so wonderfully delicious but I’m paying for it now. I gained 5 pounds! Blah! I have since lost 2 pounds. I’m basically where I started--so frustrating. This year I am a bit more motivated and am really going to put in effort to lose this flub!

Write in my journal once a week.

There was one small period of time where I was good at doing this daily. I ended up with nearly 3 whole months of entries but then I met my husband…and got a  bit distracted to say the least. Anyway, it’s important to me that Penelope know me and who I am, especially that she learn more about me when I'm gone from this Earth. I also want her to know about herself when she was a baby since I will obviously write about her. It is also, for me, very relaxing to write out my feelings, especially when I feel stressed about a particular situation. I really want to get back in the habit of doing this. I’ve committed to this far too many times and failed so I figured I needed to set my goals reasonably. I can do once  a week.

Keep a gratitude journal.

I actually stole this idea from a friend (thanks Olivia!)  But more specifically it is a gratitude journal for Jesse. He will also be keeping one for me. Basically, every day you write one thing about your spouse that you are grateful he did or does for you. I love that it allows an opportunity to think daily upon why your spouse is the bomb diggity. But on a serious note, I think it will make my relationship with my spouse even closer.

Read the Book of Mormon from beginning to Helaman.

Again, setting my goals lower in hopes of actually following through this year. I would like to read the Book of Mormon all the way through again since it’s been a while, but Jesse and I always start and then somehow start reading random chapters and topics again. This year if I can just make it to Helaman so the next year I can read from Helaman to the end I would be pretty proud of myself.

Put myself out there more.

I’ve gotten in to the habit of keeping my thoughts to myself these last few years. Too often I have great thoughts or ideas or want to help in some way but then chicken out and do nothing. Here are a few examples: Having an idea in Relief Society and not saying it. Wanting to bare my testimony in testimony meeting but decide not to. Sitting by myself or people I know well instead of sitting down next to someone I don’t know and getting to know them. Seeing an old lady walking with a walker down the street and not offering her a ride (for some reason I am really kicking myself in the butt for not acting on that last one.) Do you get what I’m saying? Maybe this needs to be revised to “acting on promptings more.” I always feel better about myself when I put myself out there--even if it means being vulnerable.

Be the kind of person I want my daughter to be.

I usually avoid vague resolutions because it makes resolutions harder to finish. However, this year I have this one. I thought it was important to add to my list even though it won’t be accomplished by the end of the year (hopefully ever.) Someone said this in church today and it really got me to thinking that there is always more I can be doing to be a better example to my daughter. I don’t know exactly what I need to do to be better at this but I know that I will know the things I need to do better as they come along.

I thought if I wrote my resolutions down for everyone to see that maybe I’ll actually finish them for once. For those who know me personally or know me well hold me accountable!


What are your New Year Resolutions for 2014?


1 comment: