Saturday, November 30, 2013

5 Things That Surprise Me About My Daughter

Being a first time mom a lot of things surprise me. But here are some things that really threw me for a loop!:

1) Her blue eyes:

So it wasn’t entirely impossible for Jesse and I to have a blue-eyed baby since both our dads have blue eyes. But since I have brown eyes and Jesse has green eyes, I always figured our babies would have brown eyes. After going back home to NH to visit my family, I realized my daughter has the exact same color blue as my dad’s (and after talking to my Grandma Allison, the same color blue as my grandfather who has passed away.) So now when I look at her I think of her sweet Great Grandpa Allison and her Grandpa.  They’re this pretty deep blue that reminds me of the ocean. I really hope they stay this color. I read that baby’s eye colors can change up till their 9 months old.

Love these eyes!
2) How much she is like me:

I always hoped our child would be more like Jesse in the aspect of personality. He is calm, even tempered, and always laughing and smiling. Me on the other hand…I’m feisty, loud, and stubborn. I wear my emotions on my sleeves and I will almost always let you know how I feel. And I’m not too prideful to admit that I’m quick to get angry. The joke is on my though, because now I get to experience what it’s like to deal with me... by having a baby just like me. Don’t get me wrong, I love my daughter for who she is but man, I’m in for it! My daughter is quick to let you know how she feels. She's stubborn as stubborn gets and will cry till she gets what she wants. She loves to smile and laugh but it can flip on a dime if something is happening that she doesn't like. My baby has the loudest cry I have ever heard in my life. And when I try rationalizing it by saying I must not know many babies I am consistently proven wrong when someone comments on how vocal my child is. On the plus side she does have some of my better qualities like how she is easy to make laugh and how silly she is.

Such a sad cry.

3) She loves music:

I’m not a terrible singer but I would never claim it as my talent. I always reserved the spot for musical child prodigy to my sister Kasi since she is an extremely talented singer. I don’t know what kind of singer my baby is going to be but I can at least say this: She loves music. No one ever believes me until I show them. It’s incredible how much her attitude changes when there is music on. She can go from crying to laughing in an instant.  When you dance around the room with her she just laughs and laughs. And then cries when you stop. She loves to watch others dance and sing to her. And occasionally you’ll find her trying to sing along.


I don't have a picture of us dancing so here's a cute picture of her.

4) She looks like a piece of everyone:

I never knew it was possible for a baby to look like so many people. I can look at my daughter and see the Allison side in her and then a split second later see the Sherman side of her. The other day at Thanksgiving I was able to see the Justet, Allison, Sherman, and Bartolomei side of Penelope all at once. Crazy!

I feel like this is a good picture that you can see all sides of the family in.
5) My big baby:

I know I’ve said this a thousand times but I still can’t get over how someone as little as myself gave birth to a good sized baby. I never thought I’d have a chunky baby but somehow I do. Jesse and I are both small people but yet somehow Penelope manages to be too big for everything early. For example, she has such big feet! It’s nearly impossible to find footsy pajamas that fit properly. There must be some hidden gene in our family because I have no clue where this is coming from!

My cute little chunker!

What surprised you about your baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment